QUESTIONS ABOUT CLADDING
1 – Can I use it on an overlay?
2 – Is it easy to lay?
3 – Does it provide sound and heat insulation?
4 – Can it stain?
5 – Is it absorbent?
6 – How do I clean it?
7 – Can I clean it with a steam cleaner?
8 – Can I clean the stones?
9 – Is there any treatment I can use to protect it from dirt/dust? 10 – What walls can I lay it on?
11 – Can it be used outside as well?
12 – Is it weatherproof?
13 – I want to lay it on plasterboard. What do I need to do?
14 – I want to lay it on a wooden wall. Can I?
15 – Can I use any adhesive and grouting?
16 – Can I lay the material inside the shower cubicle?
17 – Is it supplied in panels? How big are they?
18 – Can I lay it on a wall which has problems with damp?
19 – Can I lay it on a wall which has problems with mould?
20 – Are there any special parts?
ANSWERS ON CLADDING
- Yes. It’s possible to use it on an overlay. Before doing so, you should check that the overlay is securely anchored to the wall, and that it can support the weight of the stone cladding. Then, you need to apply a suitable plaster and fix the individual stones directly on to this using an appropriate adhesive which has been guaranteed for use with Biopietra cladding.
- Yes. The material is supplied in boxes containing unpackaged pieces. It is simple and easy to lay using an adhesive and grouting recommended for use with the Biopietra range and following the instructions shown in the catalogue. (We recommend Eco-koll adhesive and Biostucco grouting which are both supplied by Biopietra.)
- The natural thickness of the stone, which can range from 1cm to 5-6cm, means that it provides both sound and heat insulation.
- Yes. It can stain. All the products in Biopietra’s range behave like natural stone and so are absorbent.
- Yes. Like natural stone, the cladding absorbs any liquid that soaks into it. However, once dry, it goes back to normal.
- If the marks have been caused by the laying process, and are adhesive or grouting stains, they can be removed by letting them dry and then scraping them off with a sorghum brush (a few hours after they were laid). If the marks have been caused by something else, and the stones have not already been treated and thereby protected, any impurities cannot be removed. WARNING: DON’T USE ACID-BASED CLEANING PRODUCTS!
- We advise against using steam cleaners
- Yes. For cladding which has been laid inside, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a bristle attachment. For cladding which has been laid outside, you can use water, or indeed a high pressure water jet if used at a distance of at least 1-2 metres from the wall. WARNING: DON’T USE ACID-BASED CLEANING PRODUCTS!
- Yes. Biopietra supplies a liquid surface protective treatment called “Biofin” which can be applied to claddings installed in bars, restaurants, kitchens or any other environment which is particularly prone to damp or dust. The treatment can be applied using a roller or brush and does not alter the external appearance of the stones.
- If you are using an adhesive which has been specially guaranteed for use with Biopietra cladding, you can lay the cladding on any cement surface which has been suitably prepared. To lay it on other types of surface, you will need to use a suitable adhesive, as available in all good stores. (We recommend Eco-koll adhesive and Biostucco grouting which are both supplied by Biopietra).
- Yes. All products in Biopietra’s range can be used outside. (An only exception is for Luminance which might not have the luminescent result if placed where there is lots of street light or even under direct moon rays, so we suggest to use luminescent only indoor.
- All claddings in Biopietra’s range are guaranteed for outside use and have been subjected to over 100 freezing/unfreezing tests as required by European UNI EN ISO regulations.
- Apply a palm of “primer” to limit water absorption and then lay the cladding using an adhesive specially guaranteed for Biopietra cladding. (We recommend Multikoll adhesive and Biostucco grouting, which are both supplied by Biopietra).
- Yes. You must first apply a suitable water-resistant barrier to the wall and then fix a metallic mesh with galvanised nails. Then you must apply a suitable plaster before fixing the individual stones. Finally, you should apply a suitable plaster and fix the individual stones directly on to this using an appropriate adhesive which has been guaranteed for use with Biopietra cladding. (We recommend Eco-koll adhesive, which is available from Biopietra)
- We recommend that you use adhesive and grouting which have been guaranteed for use with Biopietra cladding (Eco-koll adhesive and Biostucco grouting, which are both available from Biopietra).
- We advise against laying inside shower boxes, since the product is both coarse and absorbent and therefore prone to limescale and mould.
- No. The material is supplied in boxes of unpackaged pieces, the number of which may vary according to the line that has been chosen.
- Yes. If recurrent and bad damp is present in the wall, it should first be treated with a special transparent grouting.
- Yes. You should first remove the mould and then apply the cladding using an adhesive and grouting which have been guaranteed for use with Biopietra cladding. We recommend Eco-koll adhesive and Biostucco grouting, which are both available from Biopietra.
- Yes. You can buy L-shaped parts for cladding 90 degree angles.